Chillin' in Madrid

martes, agosto 22, 2006

Filipinos Cookies and Cafe con Leche


But the best revelation for me was their cookies: the brands Filipinos and Principe. And the café con leche. They were the best. Simple but great.


Back home, I don’t really have cookies nor biscuits. I’m not interested in them. I don’t like the taste nor the consistency. Except for the standard Skyflakes to keep my tummy from getting acidic before the next major meal. I never really bother with such food. Because they almost always have some kind of creamy filling that’s just too sweet. And the consistency is not that much to speak of. And I take Chips Ahoy or Fibisco only for my sweet tooth. Hihihi!

But it seems that in Spain/Europe, their cookies are better. It seems that theirs are the sort of cookies that I like. And this is not colonial mentality acting up here but a genuine non-cookie or biscuit-eater finally enjoying eating such food. Haha! Maybe you should try them and then you’ll understand what I mean.

Filipinos cookies by Artiach. Yummy!
This brand is popular in Spain. They even run TV ads of it.


Filipinos and Principe got me by on some mornings and during trips while on the road in a bus or train or in the hostel when in a hurry to get to somewhere, and sometimes, before going to bed while writing stuff down about how my day went, in my travel journal. Filipinos cookies are addictive but it’s more expensive than Principe. I made sure to have one sent home before I left Madrid. Haha! So people at home can try it.

As for coffee, well, just like me with cookies, I’m actually not much of a coffee drinker. I drink only to keep myself awake or keep the richness of desserts or any food I ate, at bay. But during the course of my going around Spain, whenever at the bus station canteens or restaurant stops, I’ve learned to order café con leche almost all the time whenever I was between stops during trips, after I noticed the other customers ordering them. So I figured I’d try it too (the first time I noticed). I needed something hot with my breakfast.

To my utter satisfaction, their coffee beat any gourmet coffee sold in the pricier coffeeshops back home. It didn’t taste anything like any instant coffee or bitter signature brew! And it looked so simple too. That was the best. Hehe! Since then I made it a point to try and drink the coffee in all the cities I am going to not just in Spain but in the rest of Europe. Lol! The real thing indeed. :P

And then, for some reason, I had this big Coke craving while exploring. I always wanted to order Coke and in the large cup too whenever I can. It was weird. Must be something to do with the amount of energy I used up when exploring everyday and the sugar I need to keep it up? I don't know...